What To Do Until We Arrive When There Are Water Leaks by Paul Padilla, Operations Manager
We regularly get asked what a home owner should do when they experience water damage in their home or office and what steps they can take to eliminate further damages until SERVPRO of Fountain Valley arrives. Here are 5 important tips on what you should do as soon as you hear, feel or see water coming into your home or place of business.
1. Stop the water: When a water leak occurs the first priority is to immediately stop the water or shut off the supply of water as best you can. Whether the leak is from a copper pipe, plastic Pex line or a supply line, it needs to be shut off ASAP. If a supply line burst, it can be as easy as shutting the Angle Stop Valve off to stop the water from going past the valve. If it is a copper or plastic main line then the entire system will need to be shut off at the Main Water Shut Off Valve until the leak can be isolated and/or repaired. An example of that would be when a plumber caps off the leaking section of pipe to allow the rest of the plumbing to function as normal until the full repair can be made.
2. Stay Safe: Make sure all electrical devices and power bars are elevated out of the water. Turn off power if needed to then move electrical devices out of water. Electrical can be turned back on once the area is considered safe.
3. Use barriers to stop the water: Stop the flow of the water with towels or sand bags if possible. Stopping the migration of the water will help stop the water from traveling into rooms that would otherwise be unaffected. This will reduce the damage and cost.
4. Protect furniture and objects: Get contents and furniture out water and off floor. Remove boxes and loose items from floor that can be damaged by water. Put aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs to eliminate damage to furniture.
5. Remove water: Remove excess water with wet shop vacuum where and when possible. Removing the standing water will cut down on the time the water will have to absorb into the building materials.
Call SERVPRO of Fountain Valley ASAP!
When water leaks occur it is a very confusing and stressful time. At SERVPRO of Fountain Valley we understand most people have never dealt with this before. This is why we are here to help guide you through this very hectic time. With these 5 recommendations a homeowner can minimize the amount of damage that occurs before SERVPRO of Fountain Valley can arrive and mitigate effectively.